Saturday, January 12, 2008

What's going on here?

Why am I here? Why am I annexing this little corner of cyberspace?

Good question!

I am hoping that there are people out there who are interested in movies and the stories those movies are built around. I am hoping that there are individuals out there who not only enjoy viewing a great film, but also enjoy talking about it with others. So, in a nut shell, that's what I'm here for. I'm looking for an exchange of thoughts.

Movies (and stories in general) have been an important part of my life since childhood. I find myself referring to movies and books almost daily as I attempt to express my own feelings or when I have ideas that need clarification. I'm pretty sure that there are others out there who can relate to that.

Some people say that movies are an escape from real life. And, for many, I'm sure that is true. But, for me, a good film has the power to bring life into clearer focus. Rather than escaping from reality, I see the audience being invited to examine reality...to view it with proximity and from perspectives that are usually out of reach. By traversing the boundaries of experience or imagination reel life can actually effect real life...and that's something I'd like to explore.

4 comments:

Bryan said...

Very interesting. People have been quoting passages in books for decades, even hundreds of years. But it has only been our generation that has had the opportunity to quote movies. I believe that movies will only gain in importance in our lifetime. As people's lives become more and more busy, it seems that few people actually take the time required to read through an entire novel. Movies have become the vehicle for story-telling in our generation. I'm not suggesting that movies are Better than books, I still prefer to feel the spine resting comfortably in my hand. Savor the texture of the page as I turn to uncover the next step in the plot. My heart thrills to the musty smell of a classic that has been sitting on the shelf for years. BUT, my heart also thrills to an X-Wing streaking across my screen, the sheer joy in life that Gene Kelly finds dancing and singing in the rain. In short, (ok, maybe by now, IN LONG) I think you have found a subject that will touch a nerve with people. It does for me anyway.

Kimberlee said...

Thanks, Bryan. I appreciate you taking the time to consider and respond. What you said is absolutely true...it's easier to watch a movie than read a book. But, like you, I don't think one can replace the other. Both print and film bring unique qualities to the experience that, like you, I wouldn't want to do without.

Who hasn't experienced the thrill of hearing that a much-loved novel has been adapted for film? And I can't count the times that a movie has inspired me to go back and read (or re-read) the original work on which the motion picture was based. So, there is definitely a place for each under the greater umbrella of story telling. And it IS that whole idea of STORY that interests me. Why we tell what we tell and what strikes a chord with our heads and our hearts...that is exactly what I'm excited about exploring. I'm so glad that seems to make sense to you as well!

Anonymous said...

Oh, before I forget, I was so tickled to see you mention Gene Kelly in your comment! I know he has lots of fans out there, but I've never actually MET any. He absolutely amazes me! I remember the first time I saw him dance (An American in Paris)...WOW! I was completely blown away by his creativity and athleticism! I'd never seen dancing taken to that level (or in that direction) before.

A few nights ago I saw the musical "Hello Dolly" (1969) for the first time. Overall, it wasn't turning into an instant favorite, but there was an extended dance scene that was really impressive and I immediately thought, "Wow, this choreography is worthy of Gene Kelly!" I looked up the movie on IMDb and, sure enough, Gene Kelly was the director! I'm not sure how much input he had into the dancing, but by the looks of it he MUST have had some creative control. I find that really interesting.

I also just read that Ray Bradbury's "Something Wicked This Way Comes" (another favorite of mine) was actually dedicated to Gene Kelly which seems like an unlikely connection. I'll have to dig deeper into that!

"If Fred Astaire is the Cary Grant of dance, I'm the Marlon Brando."

Gene Kelly

Anonymous said...

I LOVE Gene Kelley. If I could be anyone in the movies, it would be him. Singing in the Rain is one of the girl's favorite movies, and they can just about quote it line for line. I sit back and watch him, and think to myself, "GUYS aren't supposed to be able to move like that!"