Monday, January 14, 2008

What could you do with more time?

Groundhog Day

I was writing an email to a friend and found myself knee-deep in a muddy explanation of my own regret. We were talking about books and that led to my overall frustration. There are just so many books that I haven't read. So many types and pieces of music that I've never listened to (or even heard of). There are so many interesting things to discover and know and experience in this magnificent world we live in. Sometimes I do feel regret that I haven't done a better job of managing and making wise use of my time.

Groundhog Day isn't usually at the top of anyone's list of all-time favorite movies. I'm not sure I'd list it as a favorite either except that my mind comes back to it again and again as a reminder to make good use of my time. There can't be too many people out there who haven't at least heard the synopsis of the story. Bill Murray is stranded in a time warp that keeps looping back to the same day....Groundhog Day. At first, he's confused, then aggravated at the inconvenience of having to repeat the day's events again and again. He moves through several more stages of amusement and depression, but finally resigns himself to his fate. Then, lo and behold, it hits him. He's got all the time in the world...to learn anything he wants! Instead of feeling cursed he sees the experience for what it is...a gift!

I ask myself this all the time...

If I had all the time in the world, what would I really want to do? What would I read? What would I write? What new skill would I like to acquire? Of course, it would be easy to throw up my hands in defeat and claim that things like that only happen in the movies. And it's true that the time warp thing is a lot of silliness, but the idea there...to make good use of my time...surely I can do a better job of that!

What would you do if you had all the time in the world?

And, maybe a better question, what would you really like to do with the time that you have?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Actually, G.D. has been one of my favorites for a while now. (and it doesn't have Anything to do with my infatuation of Andi McDowell) The story has always fascinated me Because I don't have time to do everything, shoot, even Part of what I want to do. Everytime I watch this movie, I become energized, inspired, to do more with my time. I try to stop thinking about the time that I have let slip away, and focus on trying to use my time more wisely.

Kimberlee said...

YES! YES! YES, Bryan! That's exactly what I'm talking about! Being inspired to get out there and "suck the marrow out of life!" (to borrow from yet another film...that borrowed from a book!) YES! I've heard people say that they hated Groundhog Day because they couldn't stand hearing "I Got You, Babe" over and over again. LOL! Well, okay, that WAS really irritating, but there was so much more to the story than that!

A few years ago I decided to try to remedy my SAD lack of musical knowledge. I can't say I've made much of a dent in my vast reserve of ignorance, but I'm working on it. All the years that the Cosby Show was on the air, Bill Cosby seemed to make it his personal mission to expose America's youth (viewers) to the greatest Jazz, R&B, and Soul. I have always wanted to know more about those great performers that he included on his show. FINALLY a few years ago, I started checking out some of this music and it's been fascinating!!! (Mr. Holland's Opus added to this inspiration, I might add). This is ONE of the things that I've chosen to do with my time. And I've got a list as long as my arm!

Anonymous said...

I'd love to do lots with my time.....study French (just beginning); study more Chinese, spend quality time with my kids; clean my house; go home and visit, work on genealogy and finish the paper I started on it.; and on and on

Anonymous said...

Okay, TRUE CONFESSIONS here... if I had all the time in the world I would resume my ballet dancing career and learn to dance en poite, which was a dream that never was realized. I had to stop dancing just prior to getting my pointe shoes as a youth, and I always wonder if I would have loved it as I imagine that I would have. Yes, I AM living vicariously through my daughter, who just got her pointe shoes after six years of dancing! :)

Love you, Kimberlee!
Laurie

Anonymous said...

Yes, Joy, I can definitely sympathize with not having more time to learn languages! I hadn't realized that you'd started studying French. Or did you mean that you'd like to start?

Great to hear from you! :)

Anonymous said...

Wow, Laurie! I had NO IDEA that you wanted to be a dancer! I just saw a movie (yesterday) called, "The Unfinished Dance" about a ballerina who is injured and unable to continue dancing. She begins to teach little girls and finds meaning and joy through her gift to others. I guess, in a way, that's something of what you are experiencing with your daughter. Maybe? Ballet is definitely one of those things that would be difficult to pick up again...especially six kids later!!! Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts!